So you have finally decided to buy your tickets and visit Colombia. If you’re anything like me your next step is to figure out what to pack, but what do Colombians wear?
If you want to fit in with the current trends, doing a bit of research on men’s fashion in Medellín is a good idea.
For women’s fashion check out my other post and for men’s fashion you’re in the right place.
If you’ve been in Medellín before you know that jeans are a staple piece in everybody’s wardrobe even though the average temperatures are a perfect 75°F (24°C) year round.
It’s something I find increasingly mind boggling, but after asking, most paisas agree that jeans are more comfortable.
You can argue that Medellín is the fashion capital of Colombia — many think Bogotá has better fashion.
Every July, ColombiaModa is held in the heart of the city for three days so most people here dress to impress. It’s not odd to see people wearing leather jackets even if its 80 degrees out.
If you don’t mind sticking out, Bermuda shorts and sandals are the norm for foreigners here and you can always spot a few walking around in El Poblado.
If you want to blend in a bit while here definitely pack at least one pair of jeans or long pants.
You can still fit in and be comfortable. Nobody wants to be hot, sweaty and miserable while visiting one of Latin America’s most important cities.
As Ryan pointed out in his article about shorts, more and more Colombian men are wearing them.
Most men here are very fashionable so here are a few tips to keep in mind while packing or dressing yourself once you get here.
- Hygiene is a priority here so if you can, shower everyday. Smelling good is almost as important as playing soccer to Colombians.
- If you’re going to wear sandals don’t wear shorts and vice versa.
- If you’re wearing black shoes, wear a black belt. Same goes for gray or brown. Don’t mix neutrals.
- Button down shirts are always a good idea.
- Polo’s and V-necks are great for daytime casual activities.
- Dress up a little to go out at night. Dark jeans and a nice button down shirt are normally the go to outfit for a night out. Some clubs (Envy, Carito) have a dress code.
- Never wear shorts to go out at night and avoid them if possible for dates.