Many people come to stay in Medellín and want an easy move into a furnished rental apartment. Using unique data supplied by Medellín-based accommodation search engine AllTheRooms, we have up-to-date information about the prices of furnished apartments in Medellín in 2019.
Note: The data focuses on furnished apartments and home rentals that have hot water, WiFi, and high guest satisfaction. We have not included apartments that do not have positive ratings.
Where to Stay
The four main neighborhoods were foreigners and expats want to stay in Medellín are; El Poblado, Estadio, Laureles, and Envigado.
We’ve looked at 1,595 apartments across these four neighborhoods. The majority of furnished apartments are in El Poblado, which is home to 66% of the apartments studied. Laureles is home to 18%, 8% in Envigado, and 8% in Estadio.
The majority of furnished rentals are one-bedroom apartments (49%) followed by two bedroom apartments (26%) and three bedroom apartments (16%).
Over 2018, the average occupancy of furnished apartments was as follows; El Poblado 24%, Laureles 17%, Envigado 15%, Estadio 12%.
This means the best chance of finding a bargain is in Envigado or Estadio, where demand is lower, and you’re more likely to see homeowners offering discounted rentals.
Generally, the most booked furnished apartments throughout the four neighborhoods are four bedroom apartments or houses, at an average of 29 % booked, with one bedroom apartments coming in as second most popular, at 22% booked.
Where to Look
The main websites to find furnished apartment rentals in Medellín include:
- Airbnb – which has several hundred furnished apartments in Medellín listed
- AllTheRooms – where you can find home rentals, aparta-estudios, Airbnb listings, and more
- Medellín Facebook Groups
- Casacol – has >400 furnished apartments in Medellín listed.
Pricing varies depending on the time of the year, with the whole month of December, the first week of January, and the summer months of July and August being the most expensive times to book.
The minimum rental period of the furnished apartments surveyed is four days on average, with many apartments permitting just a one night rental, and others requiring up to a 30 day minimum.
As with most furnished apartments around the world, a security deposit is usually required. The average security deposit in the four neighborhoods are: El Poblado $245; Envigado $197; Estadio $173; and Laureles is $214. Depending on the size of the furnished apartment, security deposits can be as low as $84 for one bedroom rentals, and as high as $5,000 for rentals with more than five rooms.
The majority of furnished apartment rentals come with a cleaning fee, which ranges from $5 to $500.
El Poblado Furnished Apartments
El Poblado is the most popular neighborhood for foreigners living in, or visiting, Medellín. It is an upscale neighborhood in the city and is where the most hotels and furnished apartments catering to foreigners are located, with 66% of the furnished apartments studied being in El Poblado.
El Poblado is primarily an Estrato 6 neighborhood and is where the most expensive real estate and most expensive apartment rentals in the city can be found.
- The average price of a furnished apartment in El Poblado is $120 a night
- The most expensive apartment in El Poblado is $3,605 a night
- The average price of a one-bedroom apartment in El Poblado per night is $58; two-bedroom apartment is $86; three-bedroom apartment $115; four-bedroom apartment $183
- The average security deposit in El Poblado is $245, with the lowest deposit being $84
- The average cleaning fee in El Poblado is $34
Laureles Furnished Apartments
Laureles is the second-most popular neighborhood for foreigners living in Medellín. It’s home to residential apartments and great bars, restaurants, and cafes. Laureles is primarily an Estrato 4/5 neighborhood with 99% of the households rated at Estrato 4 or 5.
Of the furnished apartments in Laureles that were studied:
- The average price of a furnished apartment in Laureles is $67 a night
- The most expensive apartment in Laureles goes up to $456 a night
- The average price of a one-bedroom apartment in Laureles a night is $32; two-bedroom apartment is $46; three-bedroom apartment is $56
- The average security deposit in Laureles is $214 with the lowest deposit being $92
- The average cleaning fee in Laureles is $20
Envigado is a neighborhood that has become more popular in the last two years thanks to its leafy streets, good safety record, and relaxed atmosphere.
Of the furnished apartments in Envigado that were studied:
- The average price of a furnished apartment in Envigado is $72 a night
- The most expensive apartment in Envigado goes up to $1,100 a night
- The average price of a one-bedroom apartment in Envigado a night is $45; two-bedroom apartment is $63; three-bedroom apartment is $65; four-bedroom apartment is $133
- The average security deposit in Envigado is $197
- The average cleaning fee in Envigado is $25
Estadio, which is technically part of Estadio-Laureles, is a neighborhood becoming more popular thanks to its proximity to the Estadio metro.
Of the furnished apartments in Estadio that were studied:
- The average price of a furnished apartment in Estadio is $67 a night
- The most expensive apartment in Estadio goes up to $455 a night
- The average price of a one-bedroom apartment a night in Estadio is $25; two-bedroom apartment is $36; three-bedroom apartment is $47; four-bedroom apartment is $84
- The average security deposit in Estadio is $172
- The average cleaning fee in Estadio is $18
The Bottom Line
There is a wide range of furnished apartments available for rent in Medellín ranging from economical to luxury. El Poblado is where most of the furnished apartments in Medellín are available but El Poblado is also where the most expensive real estate in the city is found.
One bedroom apartments in El Poblado are in the highest demand. Visitors can save substantially on a furnished apartment rental in an area outside of El Poblado, such as Laureles, Estadio, or Envigado.
Unfortunately, there aren’t that many furnished apartments to be found outside of El Poblado as El Poblado remains the most popular area for foreign visitors to Medellín.